jeudi 14 novembre 2013

Yahoo omg! UK - 14 novembre 2013

Dido: I would have floundered on The X Factor or The Voice, I'm glad I never went there – EXCLUSIVE

She's sold over 40 million albums worldwide.

But despite this, Dido believes that if she were to have started her career on a program like The X Factor or The Voice, she would have struggled to make the cut.

Speaking exclusively to omg! ahead of the release of her Greatest Hits collection, the 41-year-old singer/songwriter admitted she couldn't see herself doing well on a TV talent show.

She told us: "I think I would have floundered on one of those shows! I'm glad I never went there.

"Get to the dancing bit and I'd have been out!"

This isn't, however, to say that she is against the format of creating stars on television - with Dido herself even appearing as a guest mentor on series two of The Voice earlier this year.

"It was really fun, I really enjoyed it. I was just there for a day. They all were great, really good singers I was super impressed. They only get given the song in the morning it's really hardcore," she said.

"I love that sort of thing, I love listening to other people sing.

"There are so many different ways to hear someone and I don't think any of them are better or worse.

"Good songs and a good voice will get out there.

"If someone moves you and they're singing a beautiful song I don't really care how it got there."

Dido's collaboration with Eminem on the critically acclaimed and commercially successful 1999 hit 'Stan' was arguably her big break.

The track used a sampler from her second single 'Thank You' with both songs appearing on the Greatest Hits collection.

With 'Thank You' being released after 'Stan', Dido admits that there were times when people would get confused as to why she was performing what they thought was an Eminem track.

She said: "I think the funniest thing was when I had to sing 'Thank You' at a friend's wedding and this guy came up to me and said 'why are you singing Eminem song at a wedding?' and I was like 'you know what? Oh whatever!'"

Regardless of this, Dido is adamant that the collaboration still means a lot to her.

"I was so proud of it. For me music is music and if it's taken out of context and used in a brilliant way then I love it just as much," she explained.

"'Stan' brings back as many amazing memories as does 'Thank You'. They're just very different ones!

"When I listen to 'Stan' I so clearly remember making the video – getting to meet Dr Dre and Eminem – they were my heroes. But then 'Thank You' reminds me of weddings... and not being stuck in the boot of a car!"

With a career spanning 15 years, Dido had the huge task on her hands of putting together her Greatest Hits collection, something she found to be a therapeutic process in the end.

"It was really nostalgic. I got really into it. It's fun for me when I listen to it from beginning to end – it's this crazy fifteen year diary in an hour," she said

"I actually wanted to do a remix album for a while so it was a perfect time to put the remix album in there because they meant a lot to me from over the years. There's a sort of mixture of nostalgia and then new stuff."

And as for her favourite track?

"'White Flag' just will never get old for me because I was just so proud of having written that song and it had such an amazing reaction. It brings back so many memories – I still love singing it," she admitted.

(Source)